Planning a playground can be a complex task, but our representatives would be happy to help you navigate through the process. The planning checklist below outlines some of the things to start thinking about in regards to your playground.
Define your Objectives
- Why are you planning/updating your playground? What do you hope to accomplish?
- What is your target installation date or deadline?
- What is your total budget? Be sure to budget for all related costs, such as:
- Site Prep
- Playground Equipment
- Building Permits
Assess your Needs
- How many children on average will play on the playground at one time?
- What is the child age distribution? How many 2-5 year olds? How many 5-12 year olds?
- Do you have any important considerations (e.g. accessibility, children with special needs, etc.)?
- Would you like to include any other site amenities? Shade? Site Furniture?
Analyze your Site
- Where will the playground be installed?
- What is the size of the area?
- What is the slope of the site? The site topography may affect water runoff/drainage.
- How will the climate and natural forces affect the playground?
- Is a copy of the site plan available?
Select your Equipment
- What specific play events would you like included (e.g. slides, climbing, overhead events, play panels, etc.)?
- Are you interested in a composite play structure, independent play elements, or a combination?
- Would you like to incorporate any theme elements?
- What color scheme are you envisioning?
Choose your Surfacing
- Which safety surface are you considering? Explore our surfacing section for some basic information on each of your options.
- What is the maximum fall height you would like on your playground?
Plan your Installation
- Who will be doing the site prep work and installation?
- Would you like to use a professional crew, volunteers, or a combination?